Saturday, June 05, 2010

Edis Weekend Wave #23

Hello and welcome to isse #23 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Thursday has been a bank holiday in Germany and what did I do most of the day? SLEEP! That is so sad. And now it is Saturday evening. Where is the ? Not written yet??!! Yes indeed, I need to write it because I spent the day on a Medieval Fair: Listen to music, Buying nice things and drinking quaffable cherry beer from German monastery brewery - Tasty, tasty, tasty. To be honest I'm not drunk but I fell very well. Enjoy reading ......

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reviews, reviews, reviews
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Good news for all PAX BRITANNIA fans like me
  2. A Hamilton fan boy
  3. Ciphers
  4. The Exodus Gate by Stephen Zimmer: Some liked it more than I did
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. No movies but my favorite song of the week
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms BEER . . . . .

The Lighthouse

Doy you know this feeling? You read three great books in a row and then you want to write reviews. You sit in front of your keyboard and nothings happens because your brain is suddenly empty. That happened to me the whole week. So I have been ver happy to finish at least one review. I don't know the reason for this. But I know that I can't force myself to write a review when I'mnot in the real mode for it. I instantly hope that this will change in near future. A book blog without reviews .... IMPOSSIBLE. And I think again about the tasty cherry beer...

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received 1000 books. I'm joking. We definitely received one single book.

I talk about The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010, 432 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0312558154] by Dexter Palmer.
I posted about the book this week. And for all of you who don't want to use the link I post again the cover and the blurb.
"A wonderfully imagined debut novel about a greeting card writer who must come to terms with the madness of a genius inventor and his quest to create the perpetual motion machine.
Imprisoned aboard a zeppelin that floats above a city reminiscent of those of the classic films Metropolis and Brazil, the greeting card writer Harold Winslow is composing his memoirs. His companions are the only woman he has ever loved, who has gone insane, and the cryogenically frozen body of her father, the devilish genius who drove her mad. The tale of Harold’s decades-long thwarted love is also one in which he watches technology transform his childhood home from a mere burgeoning metropolis to a waking dream, in which the wellheeled have mechanical men for servants, deserted islands can exist within skyscrapers, and the worlds of fairy tales can be built from scratch. And as he heads toward a final, desperate confrontation with the mad inventor, he discovers that he is an unwitting participant in the creation of the greatest invention of them all-the perpetual motion machine." [Source]
Will read and review it within June 2010.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I'm a big fan of the PAX BRITANNIA steampunk series. I bought and read all books so far. There has been a bit confusion concerning the publishing date of book six Blood Royal (2010, 320 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519376] by Jonathan Green.
"Britain reels from the events that saw some of its citizens mutated into hideous insects. The streets are awash with rumors of a dark new religion created from the destruction surrounding St Paul's. In Europe the specter of war rears its ugly head; a war fought by unnatural beings. In the centre of the chaos, hero of the Empire, Ulysses Quicksilver must maintain his calm, while madness reigns and he fights to protect civilization!" [Source]
I ordered the book in 2009 in advance. In the meantime the publishing date has been moved to October 12th. But this week I received a mail from amazon.de, telling me that the book will be delivered between 11th and 15th of June 2010.

In the meantime I will show you the great PAX BRITANNIA trailer:


I
started to read more science fiction in 2010. So far I haven't read a book by Peter F. Hamilton.But there are people - fan boys - who are able to raise your interest. On of these boys is Mark Chitty, the mastermind behind Walker of Worlds. Read about his experience with his first Hamilton read: Review | Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton (Pan Macmillan/Del Rey). He convinced me that I should try to read a Peter F. Hamilton book. I think I will do but I I don't know when. Anyway I need to by Hamilton book first.

In Edi's Weekend Wave #20a I posted about cipherer. Do you know that there are still uncracked ciphers?
If you are interested in this topic I highly recommend to read Cryptic Codes: 11 Legendary Uncracked Ciphers....

Some months ago I reviewed The Exodus Gate (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0615267470] by Stephen Zimmer.
"Benedict Darwin, host of a popular late night radio show that deals with the paranormal, comes into possession of a virtual reality simulator that turns out to be something far greater and more powerful than he ever expected.
Supernatural powers from the Abyss and their human allies are working tirelessly to bring about a One World Government, bridging the boundaries of time and space to bring back the Nephilim, the offspring of Fallen Avatars and humans, who were destroyed in a Great Flood that occurred long ages ago.
On the verge of enslaving the entire world, the vast forces within the Abyss under their proud and defiant ruler Diabolos are more powerful than ever before, and they hunger to shake the foundations of Heaven itself. A Convergence of unprecedented proportions is underway, as meticulously designed plans from malevolent otherworldly powers, set into motion at the foundation of the world, begin to unfold.
In the face of this rising storm, other powers begin to come together to resist. A most unlikely group begins to form, including high school student Seth Engel and his friends, who witness pony-sized wolves during a hike in a forest where wolves have not been seen in decades, to Benedict, his niece Arianna, and even souls existing within the afterworld. The Exodus Gate sets in motion many new forces and unexpected allies that are not going to allow their world and those beyond to fall without a fight."
I have had a problem with the Book. For me there is too much religion in the book. Fortunately there are other people who don't have this problem. Therefore I recommend to read Dave Brendon's The Exodus Gate review in order to get another point of view.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I didn't find a video or a trailer worth to present you. Maybe I should have spent another 16 hours for searching.
Who knows? Instead I would like to present you "my song of the week". That means the song I listen most of the time when I'm in front of a screen. I know it is crazy ......

APOLOGY by Fiddler's Green

Lyrics
Your eyes were not blind, still you could not see
a danger that you could not stop and not feel.

All these questions about heaven knows why lost their meaning
somehow but I still wanna know how you felt
when you stood all alone at the edge of you life
and you’ve made your own choice between darkness and light
and prepared youself for the end, your step right out of your life.

And I’m sorry, that I could not take all your worries.
You said goodbye to it all and your weakest hour made you fall.
And I’m sorry, that I left you with all your worries.
Please don’t blame me for your fall. Could I’ve ever saved you at all?

I thought we could meet up half way, but damn, you were allready gone
Prefering to walk that way all alone. But tell me now who had won?
There’s so much that I could have shown you, so many things left undone.
All you did could have been forgiven but you didn’t get along.

And I’m sorry, that I could not take all your worries.
You said goodbye to it all and your weakest hour made you fall.
And I’m sorry, that I left you with all your worries.
Please don’t blame me for your fall. Could I’ve ever saved you at all?

And so I feel so alone. I needed you here and now you are gone!

And I’m sorry, that I could not take all your worries.
You said goodbye to it all and you weakest hour made you fall.
And I’m sorry, that I left you with all your worries.
Please don’t blame me for your fall. Could I’ve ever saved you at all?
[Source]

The text is sad but I like the song very much.

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
After the tasty cherry beer I did not hesitate to search for beer quotes. And that is what I found .....

"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night.
Greek proverb


"Do not cease to drink beer, to eat, to intoxicate thyself, to make love, and to celebrate the good days.
Egyptian proverb


"Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.

Unknown


"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Czech proverb


"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin, American Statesman and Scientist (1706-1790)


"When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer.
Xeni Jardin, Columnist

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to your review of The Dream of Perpetual Motion.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
you are not the only one (me too).
I look forward to read it with keen anticipation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...