Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: The Dream of Perpetual Motion by

Once in a while it happens that I get review copies under unusual but nice circumstances.
Today I would like to share the story about how I got (it will be delivered within the next week) a copy of The Dream of Perpetual Motion (2010, 432 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0312558154] by Dexter Palmer. I think it would be good to give you some information about the book before I start with the story.
"A wonderfully imagined debut novel about a greeting card writer who must come to terms with the madness of a genius inventor and his quest to create the perpetual motion machine.
Imprisoned aboard a zeppelin that floats above a city reminiscent of those of the classic films Metropolis and Brazil, the greeting card writer Harold Winslow is composing his memoirs. His companions are the only woman he has ever loved, who has gone insane, and the cryogenically frozen body of her father, the devilish genius who drove her mad. The tale of Harold’s decades-long thwarted love is also one in which he watches technology transform his childhood home from a mere burgeoning metropolis to a waking dream, in which the wellheeled have mechanical men for servants, deserted islands can exist within skyscrapers, and the worlds of fairy tales can be built from scratch. And as he heads toward a final, desperate confrontation with the mad inventor, he discovers that he is an unwitting participant in the creation of the greatest invention of them all-the perpetual motion machine." [Source]
When I read the blurb for the first time I thought by myself it would be good to read some reviews about it before decide to add it to my list or not. I just want to mention three of the reviews I read:
Robert Thompson's review over at Fantasy Book Critic, John DeNardo's review over at SF Signal and
Traveller's review over at The Traveller's Steampunk Blog.
All these reviews are positive ones. I'm member of Goodreads like many readers and other blogger. And of course you find a lot of ratings over there. Compared to the reviews there are a lot more mixed ratings. I think one of the reasons for these mixed ratings is the reason that The Dream of Perpetual Motion is more literary than action paced steampunk.
Anyway I found the book more and more interesting. When you follow my blog you know that I like steampunk.
And so does Shellie from Layers of Thought. Shellie and I communicate via Goodreads (and from time to time we visit the blog of the other :) ). Ten days ago she asked me if some has contacted me concening The Dream of Perpetual Motion. My answer was no. But Shellie is persistent and awesome. She contacted the publisher again.
Result: Today I received a mail from St Martins Press (thank you so much Monica) telling me that they will send me a reviewer copy of The Dream of Perpetual Motion.
That means you can expect a review of The Dream of Perpetual Motion on this blog.

Dear readers, did one of you read The Dream of Perpetual Motion? Let me know what you think about it.
Did I arouse your interest or do you want more information?
In any case you must have a look at the artwork inspired by the book. And there is more like the steampunk screensaver for free. Not to forget that author Dexter Palmer shared some thoughts about writing The Dream of Perpetual Motion.

Finally, finally, finally, I can't dismiss you without a video. Dexter Palmer reads The Dream of Perpetual Motion.

2 comments:

Shellie - Layers of Thought said...

Thanks Edi you did not have to mention Layers of Thought... :)

I always have a problem getting the picture of the book to be clear and so large.
Cheers!

ediFanoB said...

Shellie, it was a pleasure to mention Layers of Thought. You do a great job.

To be honest I just upload the book covers and the rest is done by blogger.com - except moving around the pics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...