Saturday, May 22, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #21

Hello and welcome to issue #21 of Edi's Weekend Wave. I'm happy that I could manage to write and post this issue. Even it is shorter than usual. I'm full of plans but I fail miserably with realization. This is sad and doesn't make me happy. Every morning and every evening I face myself in the mirror and say: "Stop wailing! You have a job, you have a wonderful family, you find time to read and to go to gym. Sooner or later you will find time to write all the outstanding reviews. The more pressure you put on you the longer it will take to write them. Enjoy life!" And now enjoy reading ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Publisher Reviews
  2. Books and Cakes
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Predators
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Bee. . . . .

The Lighthouse

Yay! I finished two books this week, continued to read one and started one more. So you see I'm busy at the reading front. Now I need to find time to write a bunch of reviews ...

Books finished:
City of Ruin (June 2010, 467 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0230712591], by Mark Charan Newton
Awesome! What a great, great read.

Burning Skies (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0553385427] by David J. Williams
Breathtaking nearly non stop action.

Books in progress:
The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack (April 30th 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1906727208] by Mark Hodder
Read 173 of 479 pages
Gorgeous!

Shadow Prowler (2010, 396 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765324030] by Alexey Pehov
Read 53 of 396 pages
It is a lot better than I expected after reading several mixed reviews.

The Gaslight Dogs (April 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0316021791] by Karin Lowachee.
Start reading it tonight.

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received two books which we ordered in advance.

The first one has been published first in 2009. And I waited for the paperback. I talk about Yellow Blue Tibia (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0575083585] by Adam Roberts.
"Russia, 1946, the Nazis recently defeated. Stalin gathers half a dozen of the top Soviet science fiction authors in a dacha in the countryside somewhere. Convinced that the defeat of America is only a few years away, and equally convinced that the Soviet Union needs a massive external threat to hold it together, to give it purpose and direction, he tells the writers: 'I want you to concoct a story about aliens poised to invade earth ... I want it to be massively detailed, and completely believable. If you need props and evidence to back it up, then we can create them. But when America is defeated, your story must be so convincing that the whole population of Soviet Russia believes in it--the population of the whole world!' The little group of writers gets down to the task and spends months working on it. But then new orders come from Moscow: they are told to drop the project; Stalin has changed his mind; forget everything about it. So they do. They get on with their lives in their various ways; some of them survive the remainder of Stalin's rule, the changes of the 50s and 60s. And then, in the aftermath of Chernobyl, the survivors gather again, because something strange has started to happen. The story they invented in 1946 is starting to come true ... A typically mind-blowing SF novel from one of the genre's literary stars." [Source]
There are several reasons why I want to read the following book soon. That means I will read it in June 2010.
Reason one, reason two, reason three, reason four, reason five, reason six. I did not need more. And you?
This is the book I'm talking about: Kraken (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0333989517] by China Miéville.
"The Natural History Museum's prize exhibit - a giant squid - suddenly disappears. This audacious theft leads Clem, the research scientist who has recently finished preserving the exhibit, into a dark urban underworld of warring cults and surreal magic. It seems that for some, the squid represents a god and should be worshiped as such. Clem gradually comes to realise that someone may be attempting to use the squid to trigger an apocalypse. And so it is now up to him and a renegade squid-worshiper named Dean to find a way of stopping the destruction of the world as they know it whilst themselves surviving the all out-gang warfare that they have unwittingly been drawn into..." [Source]




No more today, need to read before I sleep
See you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I like and appreciate it when other blogger come up with new and fresh ideas like Tia Nevitt, the mastermind behind Debut & Reviews. This week she started with a new feature: Publisher Reviews. Read the review of Small Beer Press.

A lot of people who love books also love cakes. What do you get when you merge books and cakes?
Have a look at Sweet Reading Sweets and you get the answer.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

From all Predator movies shown so far, I watched so far just the one from 1987 starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.


But maybe this will change this year. In July Predators will hit the cinemas. It is a sequel to Predator and Predator 2. I have two videos for you. The first one is the trailer and the second one is the trailer dissected by IGN Movies. I like to see that Laurence Fishburne acts as as Noland, a stranded former U.S. soldier. A different role compared to Matrix. And against the trend it is a 2D movie.





That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
Did you read ediFanoB's lamentation at the top of the post? I think now the time has come for disappointment quotes ...


"The simple solution for disappointment depression: Get up and get moving. Physically move. Do. Act. Get going.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain, US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)


"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.
Robert Kiyosaki, American motivational Speaker and Author (1947 -)


"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
Martin Luther King, American Baptist Minister and Civil-Rights Leader (1929-1968)


"Year, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've hogh hopes for Predators as well. Great director and great cast. I sat through Predator II, but that's as far in the series as I was willing to go.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
now we have to wait until July....

Simcha said...

I hope to start Shadow Prowler sometime soon as well though I'm not sure about Gaslight dogs. From what I've read I don't think this is a book I'd enjoy.

ediFanoB said...

Simcha, in the meantime I finished Gaslight Dogs. It was better than I expected. But it only makes sense when it is the first book of a series. I hope to review it soon. So wait a bit before you decide.

Shadow Prowler is real tradidtional fantasy. I like it much more than I expected after reading all these mixed reviews.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...