Saturday, May 15, 2010

Edi'S Weekend Wave #20a

Hello and welcome to issue #20a of Edi's Weekend Wave. Thursday has been a bank holiday in Germany. On Friday I had day off. So I thought by myself: Two more days for reading and blogging. And what did I do most of the time on Thursday? ..... SLEEP! My wife told me not to grieve about it. But it is so sad because I missed to finish a book. Crazy as I am I read three books parallel. It works because they differ from each other. I'm still not sure which review we will have ready tomorrow. Need to ask Bona, Fide, Bona Fide and the Keeper of the minutes (Kotm). And now enjoy reading ...
You may wonder why this is issue #20a. The answer is simple. Blogger.com didn't like issue #20. I can't explain why. Therefore I had to change to #20a ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reading progress
  2. There is something beyond books and blogs .....
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Fictional debut of historian Ian Mortimer
  3. The Machinery of Light by David J. Williams
  4. Decipherers ......
  5. London 1829 .....
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Retro-Future..........
  2. The awesome hobbit hole by Maddie Chambers
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Super 8
  2. Splice
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Bee. . . . .

The Lighthouse

I really found some time for reading. Half of May 2010 is over. What did I read so far. Is there still the possibility to read ten books within May2010?

Finished two books from last month:
Beat the Reaper (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0316073769], by Josh Bazell

Silver (January 2010, 432 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1935142058] by Steven Savile.

Finished from the May list:
Thomas Riley (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1590807002] by Nick Valentino
Wintercraft (May 13th, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0755370962] by Jenna Burtenshaw

In progress:
City of Ruin (June 2010, 467 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0230712591], by Mark Charan Newton
Read 269 of 467 pages

Burning Skies (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0553385427] by David J. Williams
Read 183 of 398 pages

The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack (April 30th 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1906727208] by Mark Hodder
Read 135 of 479 pages

That means I will finish City of Ruin and Burning Skies soon.
I'm still optimistic that I can finish some more books. But I don't know how many. Time will tell.....


There is a life beyond work, books and blogs. Today my wife and I will go to a concert of the German Irish Speedfolk band Fiddler's Green.
So what is Irish Speedfolk? I think the best explanation you can get is to listen to the music.
So enjoy BUGGER OFF by Fiddler's Green



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received two books, one historical thriller and novel of the Clockwork Earth.
Once again I have to say a big thank you to Cassandra Ammerman from Tor/Forge for sending me a copy of
Pinion (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1841496337] by Jay Lake. This is the third book in the Clockwork Earth series.
I read and reviewed Mainspring (2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0765356369]and I read Escapement [ISBN-13: 978-0765356376]. I liked them both and of course look forward to discover Pinion. The cover is gorgeous.
"Rejoin the Librarian and the Chinese submarine captain, the British sailor, the clockwork man, and the young sorceress who has gone south of the great equatorial wall. This adventure in Lake’s Clockwork Earth continues the tale begun in Escapement."
There is also a more detailed blurb available. But I don't want to give too many information.


The second book is part of my May 2010 reading list and I'm happy that it has been delivered. I speak about A Plague of Sinners (May 2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914], by Paul Lawrence
"July 1665. The great plague rages rampant outside London’s city walls. Harry Lytle makes a welcome return after his trials and tribulations in The Sweet Smell of Decay to investigate the murder of the Earl of St Albans. A grisly dinner-table death starts Harry off on the trail, and it’s not long before his familiar accomplice, Dowling the butcher, joins him on the case. Their master, Lord Arlington, head of the King’s intelligence service, tasks them with uncovering the name and motive of the Earl’s murderer. But there will be plenty more deaths and scrapes for Harry before the name is revealed."

Fortunately the blurb does not contain spoilers. I hope you believe me that I can't wait to read it. Paul Lawrence's writing is so alluring......

The next book fits perfectly to the historical thrillers I like. Last month I read and reviewed The Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England (June 2009, 368 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1845950996], by Ian Mortimer. His full name is Ian James Forrester Mortimer. So far he published eight non-fictional books under the name Ian Mortimer.
And now he goes fiction. Sacred Treason (August 2010, 416 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0755356027] will be his debut novel. Once again I could not withstand and ordered the book in advance.
"London, December 1563. England is a troubled nation. Catholic plots against the young Queen Elizabeth spring up all over the country. At his house in the parish of St Bride, the herald William Harley – known to everyone as Clarenceux - receives a book from his friend and fellow Catholic, Henry Machyn. But Machyn is in fear of his life, claiming that the book is deadly... What secret can it hold? And then Clarenceux is visited by the State in the form of Francis Walsingham and his ruthless enforcers, who will stop at nothing to gain possession of it. If Clarenceux and his family are to survive the terror of Walsingham, and to plead with the queen’s Secretary of State Sir William Cecil for their lives, Clarenceux must solve the clues contained in the book to unlock its dangerous secrets before it’s too late. And when he does, he realises that it's not only his life and the lives of those most dear to him that are at stake..." [Source]
As I mentioned before, one of my current reads is Burning Skies (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0553385427] by David J. Williams, the second book in the Autumn Rain trilogy. On March 25th, the final volume - The Machinery of Light (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553385434] - will be published.
And this is the THE MACHINERY OF LIGHT trailer from Claire Haskell on Vimeo.
>

Decipherer [Source]
- the kind of intellectual who converts messages from a code to plain text
- a reader capable of reading and interpreting illegible or obscure text

What would espionage and wars without them?
How did they work in the 18th and 19th century?
Is it possible to write a novel about them? YES, it is.
The Cobras of Calcutta (pb September 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0330471046] by Grant Sutherland wich is the first book in The Decipherer's Chronicles series.
"In the fifty years between 1757 and 1815, Britain lost an empire, won another and emerged from the epic Napoleonic wars as the greatest power the world had ever seen. But no empire comes about by accident. The spread of British power was fuelled by the ambition and zeal of a host of larger-than-life personalities. But while history records the actions of those who chose familiar public paths to make their mark, others who served under a necessary cloak of silence have left no memorials. There were men who gave their whole lives to these hidden struggles. At the centre of these machinations lay one secret institution: the Decipherers - the code breakers, the interceptors of letters and messages, the analysers of intelligence - constantly locked in silent deadly combat with the Cabinet Noir, the Black Chamber, the secret agency of Britain's greatest enemy, France. Working tirelessly with the Decipherers was a small number of trusted agents whose secret trade carried by necessity into the deepest conflicts of empire and Alistair Douglas was one of them..." [Source]
What should I say? This is definitely a bad week for ediFanoB's purse. After reading the blurb I knew I must have this book. So I put pressure on ediFanoB until he ordered a paperback copy in advance. I can hear Mrs ediFanoB crying: "And where should we store all these books!!" To be honest, I'm Bona and that is definitely not my problem. But I feel sorry for ediFanoB ...

And now the last book -the first in a series - for today. You know ediFanoB's favorite town? Yes, indeed it is London. And when you look at the books we read you will notice that a lot of them are set in London - mostly in former times or in fantasy. Follow me to London, 1829, as depicted in The Last Days of Newgate (pb 2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper. is the first book in the Pyke Mystery series.
"St Giles, London, 1829. Three people have been brutally murdered and the city simmers with anger and political unrest. Pyke, sometime Bow Street Runner, sometime crook, finds himself accidentally embroiled in the murder investigation but quickly realizes that he has stumbled into something more sinister and far-reaching. In his pursuit of the murderer, Pyke ruffles the feathers of some powerful people, and, falsely accused of murder himself, he soon faces a death sentence and the gallows of Old Bailey. Imprisoned, and with only his uncle and the headstrong, aristocratic daughter of his greatest enemy believing in him, Pyke must engineer his escape, find the real killer, and untangle the web of politics that has been spun around him. From the gutters of Seven Dials, to the cells of Newgate prison; from the turmoil of 1800s Belfast to the highest levels of murky, pre-Victorian politics, The Last Days of Newgate is a gripping, darkly atmospheric story with a fantastic, pragmatic - and reluctantly heroic - hero." [Source]
There are a lot of mystery series available. Therefore I read several reviews - one, two, three - of The Last Days of Newgate and I must say these reviews convinced me and also ediFanoB. So he decided to add the book to his July 2010 to buy list.

No more today, need to read before I sleep
See you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

On Thursday I discovered the site of Bradley W. Schenck. And I must this man breathes Retro Futurism. What??
To be honest I have had some ideas what it should be. So if you don't know what it means you can either read the following definition from wikipedia or you visit Webomator, the site of Bradley W. Schenck.
"Retrofuturistic design is a return to, and an enthusiasm for, the depictions of the future produced in the past (most often the 1920s through 1960s), both in science fiction and in nonfiction futurism of the time, which often seem dated by modern standards." [Source]
I assume most of you have heard about the so called pulp magazines (or about pulp fiction) which have been published from 1896 until the end of the 1950s. For detailed information please read pulp magazine.

Now combine retro future with pulp fiction and the web and you get
"Thrilling Tales of the Downright Unusual is a series of lightly interactive stories written and illustrated by Bradley W. Schenck. The stories can be read in their entirety here on the Thrilling Tales web site - but you can also buy your very own copies as books." [Source]
The first part of the first story - Trapped in the Tower of the Brain Thieves, Part one: The Toaster with two Brains - is now ready for reading.

Before you leave the Book Lighthouse have a look at the
Trailer for "The Toaster With TWO BRAINS" from Bradley W. Schenck on Vimeo



The Lord of the Rings - Peter Jackson's terrific movie trilogy - the Hobbits - Hobbiton - Bag End

Do you remember the scene when Gandalf entered Bag End, the home of Bilbo and Frodo?
Would you like to see a miniature Bag End?

No problem because there are enthusiasts like Maddie Chambers who build things like this.
Just watch the following video:


Anyway I highly recommend to visit Madshobbithole, which contains the whole description and don't miss Maddy's post How I made the Hobbit Hole.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I think the following trailer is an example of how you arouse a hype for a movie which will hit cinemas in summer 2011. Super 8 is a J.J. Abrams project and the producer is non other than Steven Spielberg.
In 1979, the U.S. Air Force closed a section of Area 51. All materials were to be transported to a secure facility in Ohio ....



In summer 2010 Splice will hit the movies
"Elsa and Clive, two young rebellious scientists, defy legal and ethical boundaries and forge ahead with a dangerous experiment: splicing together human and animal DNA to create a new organism. Named "Dren", the creature rapidly develops from a deformed female infant into a beautiful but dangerous winged human-chimera, who forges a bond with both of her creators - only to have that bond turn deadly." [Source]
And this is the trailer:




That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
It is quite difficult to search for quotes when the brain you share with others is in the possession of a guy who always fall asleep. I would be a lot easier for me, Bon, Fide and Bona Fide when ediFanoB would sleep less. He should be as busy as a bee. Bee? Bee! And here are bee quotes ......

"Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers.
Robert Green Ingersoll, American Statesman and Orator (1833-1899)


"The bee is more honored than other animals, not because she labors, but because she labors for others.
Saint John Chrysostom Church Father, biblical interpreter , and archbishop of Constantinople, 347-407)


"A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower.
Kin Hubbard, American Humorist and Writer (1868-1930)


"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway.
Mary Kay Ash, American businesswoman (1918 - 2001)


"The busy bee has no time for sorrow.
William Blake, English Poet, Painter and Engraver (1757-1827)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...