Saturday, May 01, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #18

Hello and welcome to issue #18 of Edi's Weekend Wave. You may have mentioned that I had to change my schedule. A new month with new challenges.... Enjoy reading....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. What to do against Exhaustion?
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Order of the week
  2. One more book for my list
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Great Steampunk Debate
  2. NextRead's Short Story Month
  3. Living Paintings....
  4. "Perils of Aviation"
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Jonah Hex
  2. Something Noir......
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms EXHAUSTION. . . . .

The Lighthouse

I took me hours to prepare the last post because I was exhausted. Exhaustion is the main reason why I can't read and post as much as I want. And the only thing I can do against it is to sleep more. That means to sleep six hours per night instead of four. I reduced my time spending for internet - especially for Twitter.
The next days I need some time for the final preparation of my wife's birthday on upcoming Thursday.
Beside this I still have to finalize my interview format.....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received no books. This is definitely a novelty.
Therefore we decided to order following book:
The Crown of the Blood (May 27, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0007345069] by Gav Thorpe is the first book in the The Crown of the Blood series. You may know Gav Thorpe as the author of several Warhammer books. This is his first foray beyond the black library.
"He had brought his master's Empire to the furthest reaches of the world. All had fallen before him. Now he longs for home. But home isn't what it was. Could it be that everything he's fought for all those years has been a lie? A sweeping fantasy of immense battles, demonic magic and dark politics." [Source]
So far I did not find more information. I hope that will change as soon as I get my copy of the book.




A mystery novel settled in the silent movie era. That sounds like a book for me. Therefore I added The Edge of Ruin (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0312575205] by Irene Fleming.
"During the very early days of silent movies, a murder during filming threatens the lives of two independent film producers in this thrilling historical mystery.
One day in 1909, Emily Weiss's handsome and successful new husband, Adam, returns to their well-appointed Philadelphia home to tell her he's sold everything they own, and they are going to New York to become independent movie producers. As he's already signed a contract that will ruin them if not fulfilled, Emily agrees to go with him to New York and help him set up their movie company. But of course, it's not that easy - all movie production is controlled by Thomas Edison and his partners in the Patent Trust who hold many of the major patents used in filmmaking. And they employ a team of often brutal detectives whose main job it is to go around and disrupt independent films, breaking cameras and even heads if necessary.
With a colorful crew of actors, Adam and Emily head to Fort Lee, New Jersey where they set shooting the films to fulfill their contract. After evading Edison's detectives a couple of times, one of them arrives on the set in time for a major crowd scene. And, while almost everyone's back is turned, he is murdered. Now Adam sits in jail, charged with the crime, while Emily has to not only finish films but uncover the truth about the shocking murder." [Source]
I find the setting interesting.....

No more today, must go away reading the book which me hooked
See you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I like steampunk a lot. Therefore I follow several steampunk blogs like The Steampunk Tribune. Let me quote the interesting post from Friday, April 30th:
"The Great Steampunk Debate starts tomorrow!


Due to an evolving Steampunk community, it was inevitable that differing opinions and perceptions would eventually collide in some manner. One such aspect is the Steampunk and Politics - regardless of how one stands. Without going delving too deeply into the details, an event during October of last year led to the formation of a plan to debate said topics on a forum, and if the preview of its inception is any indication, I am quite confident that there will be a raucous exchanging taking place for the following month! To register and participate, please visit the forum for the Great Steampunk Debate, at: http://www.greatsteampunkdebate.com/forum/"

So if you like to debate about steampunk - this is your opportunity!

Yesterday I posted my reading plans for May 2010. Normally I'm not so keen to read short stories. But I want to give following anthology a try: Swords & Dark Magic (July 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0061723810], edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders.
Fortunately there are bloggers who like short stories a lot more than I do. One of them is Gav, the mastermind of NextRead.
And May is Short Story Month on NextRead.

So if you want to dive into the ocean of short stories then this is the perfect opportunity for you. Just click on the banner.... You won't regret.

It is time to visit WebUrbanist again. I have been impressed by Living Paintings: Reverse Trompe L'Oeil by Alexa Meade Read the post and look at the pictures. Awesome!

You may have seen the following video before. I can't withstand to show it again.....
Perils of Aviation.... There is more than volcano ash.......


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Are you an avid comic reader? Then you maybe know Jonah Hex, a western comic book hero. My first encounter with Jonah Hex has been the following trailer. One more film adaption of a comic. The movie will hit the cinemas in US on June 18th. I hope they will air the movie in Germany too.
Before I show you the trailer I would like to give you some information about the movie:
"Jonah Hex (Josh Brolin) is a scarred drifter and bounty hunter of last resort, a tough and stoic gunslinger who can track down anyone…and anything. Having survived death, Jonah’s violent history is steeped in myth and legend, and has left him with one foot in the natural world and one on the “other side.” His only human connection is with Leila (Megan Fox), whose life in a brothel has left her with scars of her own. But Jonah’s past is about to catch up with him when the U.S. military makes him an offer he can’t refuse: in exchange for his freedom from the warrants on his head, he must track down and stop the dangerous terrorist Quentin Turnbull (John Malkovich).
But Turnbull, who is gathering an army and preparing to unleash Hell, is also Jonah’s oldest enemy and will stop at nothing until Jonah is dead. Based on the legendary graphic novel, “Jonah Hex” is an epic adventure thriller about one man’s personal quest for redemption against the vast canvas of the battle between good and evil."[Source]
And now have a look........



Did you know that ediFanoB is a big fan of the TV series Fringe? His favorite character is scientist Walter Bishop. Fortunately the series is aired on German TV. But they are always several episodes behind US. The good thing is that you can see US episode trailers on Youtube. And so I was glad to discover the trailer for a very special episode: Fringe Noir.....


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
For us it is sad when ediFanoB is exhausted. Then he will sleep more which means his eyes are closed. That is definitely a problem for us because we use his eyes too. So I decided you get exhaustion quotes this week...

"We are finally driven to monogamy not by morality but by exhaustion.
Erica Jong quotes (American writer and feminist, 1942)


"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom.
Thomas Carlyle quotes (Scottish Historian and Essayist, leading figure in the Victorian era. 1795-1881)


"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion . . . . I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. quotes (American Writer, b.1922)


"More things in politics happen by accident or exhaustion than happen by conspiracy.
Jeff Greenfield


"The becoming of man is the history of the exhaustion of his possibilities.
Susan Sontag quotes (American Writer, Activist and Critic, 1933-2004)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...