Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Kate Elliott gives something away

Whenever I find some spare time I dive into the blogosphere. And from time to time I find things where I think, should I share it with you dear readers or not. To be honest I can't hide things very well.
Today I found something which
- I want to have
- reminded me to read some forgotten books within this year

I hope you forgive me when I go a bit into greater detail. Don't worry I won't start at primeval mud.

There has been a time when I read books in German only. Fortunately fantasy books from US and UK have been translated to German. Sometimes with the result that books have been split. In the following case a second edition - without split - has been published. The first edition consisted of 12 books!!

Here is something from heart of my book shelf - means far, far away from the first row.























This is the German edition of the Crown of Stars = Sternenkrone series (1997 - 2006) by Kate Elliott.
I remember I read the first book. I think it would be good to read them all - in German as I own the books. Can't really remember when I read my last book in German.

For all of you, who don't know this series:
Crown of Stars Series
Set in an alternate Europe, a world where bloody conflicts rage and sorcery holds sway, both human and other-than-human forces vie for supremacy. In this land, Alain, a young man seeking the destiny promised him by the Lady of Battles, and Liath, a young woman gifted with a power that can alter the course of history, are about to be swept up in a world-shaking conflict for the survival of humanity. [Source]
If you want to know more about Kate Elliott and here books I highly recommend to visit

Still remember the post title? It was about Kate Elliott and something she wants to give away.
In March 2010 the mmbp of the third book in the Crossroads series has been published. For the sake of completeness you get the information about all three books:
Spirit Gate (2007, 722 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765349309]
For hundreds of years the Guardians ruled the Hundred, but these unearthly beings have faded from human sight and no longer exert their will on the world. Only the reeves, patrolling from the skies, still represent the Guardians’ power. But there is a corruption in the land that not even they can control, and fanatics are devastating villages, towns, and cities, slaughtering all who oppose them.

Outlanders Anji and Mai are fleeing their homeland with a company of dedicated warriors. On reaching the Hundred, they form an alliance with one of the reeves, and determine to stand against the devouring horde. As region after region slips into chaos, a young woman sworn to the Goddess may be all that keeps them from annihilation.
Shadow Gate (2008, 792 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765349316]
In the land of the Hundred, the peace and order of life under the protection of the immortal Guardians has given way to chaos and violence. In the face of a vast horde of marauders led by a rogue Guardian, only the bravery and resourcefulness of a lone eagle-reeve and others who risk their lives for the common good have prevented death and destruction from overwhelming the land.

The source of corruption of the Guardians is still a mystery to the mortals who fight to withstand the forces that have turned against them. When three new Guardians emerge, a struggle begins among the immortals. Its stakes: the future of the land and its gods
Spirit Gate (2009, 896 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0765349323]
In the darkness of war and destruction, forces gather to reclaim the peace: Those immortal Guardians who still serve justice seek a means to end the devastating reign of one of their own; a hired outlander army struggles to halt the advance of the horde that has despoiled vast lands and slaughtered countless people in its murderous wake, while still guarding against a burgeoning threat from an aggressively expansionist empire; and the eagle reeves who have long been the only law enforcers of the Hundred struggle to reorganize after a devastating massacre has decimated their numbers. But even as these forces give hope to those who would live in peace, a terrible danger looms: a traitor with Imperial ambitions, the most dreaded, least anticipated threat of all.
In the unfolding drama of political upheaval and violent change, nothing is certain, as alliances dissolve and power shifts with the unpredictability of a desert sandstorm.

So would you like to get a chance to read these three books for free?

Then read following Livejournal entry by Kate Elliott, which I "shamelessly" copied from there:

Contest #1: Crossroads Trilogy
CONTEST! GIVEAWAY!

The winner will receive a complete (signed and personalized if you wish) set of the Tor Books (USA) mass market paperbacks of the Crossroads Trilogy (Spirit Gate, Shadow Gate, Traitors' Gate).

Here's the deal:

1) Send an email to Kate.Elliott@(no-spam)sff.net with the header "Crossroads Giveaway". Remember to remove the (no-spam) part.
2) In the body, your email needs your full mailing address (snail mail). Without that, I can't enter you.
3) One entry per person, please. Multiples will be DQd.

DATES: April 7 (today) to April 18.

I will choose the winner by blind lottery drawing on April 18 late in the evening, my time, which is pretty much the last hours of April 18 anywhere in the world.

I will be having a second contest, but the terms will be different. More on that later. This one, however, is purely enter to win by following the directions, and no other elements apply.


Good Luck to all participants!

3 comments:

Simcha said...

Thanks for letting me know! I had loved the Crown of Stars series, though admittedly I never read the last two books since by the time they came out I had forgotten what the series was about and didn't have the energy to reread them. But I'd love to read her new series, so I'll go over now to enter.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ediFanoB said...

Simcha,
thanks for your comment. I'm really thinking about to read the German edition of Crown of Stars as I own them all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...