Saturday, August 09, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1432

Hello and welcome to issue #1432 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
the last week I spent most of the time for three things: work, sleep and reading.
On Thursday morning I had to get up at 3:45 CEST in order to execute a specific job. I'm sure you can imagine how tired I was in the evening. But that did not hinder me to finish a book.
Reading keeps me vital.
If I could I would read ten books at the same time.

Today I share three books with you where I ordered copies in advance. Maybe they are also interesting for you.

And now

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Three books for me and maybe for you too
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Futuristic vehicle
  2. Military kit through the ages
  3. English Riviera
  4. The 40 fruit tree
  5. Poppies, Blood, The Tower of London

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Boxtrolls

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to optimism and pessimism

The Lighthouse
This was a somewhat crazy week. I never expected to finish two books and a short story and to start reading two more books.


I finished

- Murder (digital, hc 2014) [KINDLE EDITION ASIN: B00HVBK07Y; ISBN-13: 978-1780872346] by Sarah Pinborough.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This the second book starring Dr Thomas Bond.

I stopped reading after 170 pages because I was not sure if I wanted to read the rest of the book because I was disappointed at that time.

After several days I decided to continue reading because I hoped for a satisfying end.

For me Murder is just the second part of Mayhem. I do not understand why the story has been divided into two books.

I did not like the endless pages about the relationship between one woman and two men. I'm not a fan of romance. Nevertheless I admit that parts of the relationship development are necessary for the story itself.

I really missed to see Dr Bond working on new cases.

Fortunately for me the story got better in the last third of the book. I can't tell you about the end of the book because that would be a spoiler. As far as I know there should be a third book. But how that will work based on the end of Murder is unpredictable for me.

After 170 pages I would have rated the book with three stars. After finishing the book I changed my mind based on the last third of the story to rate Murder with four stars."


- Sherlock Holmes: Gods of War (June 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781165430] by James Lovegrove.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This was the second time I read a book by James Lovegrove starring Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson after The Stuff of Nightmares.

Set in 1913 and taking place in the surrounding of Sherlock's retirement cottage, Gods of War gives on possible answer of the following question: How will Sherlock Holmes (age of 59) and Dr Watson (age of 61) cope with their advancing age and inventions of the twentieth century on the eve on an upcoming war in Europe.

James Lovegrove did an excellent job with his answer to the question. I loved the story from beginning to the end. I have had a great time to follow both gentlemen in a fresh and entertaining story with unexpected twist and full of stuff which will take easily one day to google them all."



Der Satan von Bermondsey (Die geheimen Akten des Sir Arthur Conan Doyler (digital 2014) [KINDLE EDITION ASIN: B00JFUPBPU] by Raimon Weber
After a long time I read something in my first language. The setting of the short story sounded interesting. Arthur Conan Doyle had a secret. He was a detective himself.
It did not take long to read the 39 pages. It was a light read and did not convince me to read more stories starring Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

 
I'm

- 65 pages in The Secret World of Christoval Alvarez ( digital March 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00JC30J2A] by Ann Swinfen

- 99 pages in Murder by Misrule (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00J9TABYS] by Anna Castle.

It is a new reading experience for me to read two books set in the same time and sharing protagonists like Sir Francis Walsingham.
But that is also the point where the similarities end. The main characters are totally different. For me it seems that Murder by Misrule is a bit "lighter". Anyway I need to finish both books for a final verdict.

No progress

- 148 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.


- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I received on of the paperback copies I ordered in advance. Furthermore I downloaded the digital copy of a short story for free.

With the arrival of my paperback copy of Assail (pb, Tor Books, August 2014; ISBN-13: 978-0765330000) by Ian C. Esslemont, I own physical copies of all the books by the author set in the
Malazan Empire.
"Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region's north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor's tavern, and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adventurers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait -- hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history's very beginnings.

Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers to mysteries that Shimmer, second in command, wonders should even be sought. Arriving also, part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. And with him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and cannot remember his past life, yet who commands far more power than he really should. Also venturing north is said to be a mighty champion, a man who once fought for the Malazans, the bearer of a sword that slays gods: Whiteblade.

And lastly, far to the south, a woman guards the shore awaiting both her allies and her enemies. Silverfox, newly incarnated Summoner of the undying army of the T'lan Imass, will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond.

Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, "Assail" is the final chapter in the epic story of the Empire of Malaz." [Source]

I got a digital copy of the following short story for free. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as a detective sounded interesting.
Der Satan von Bermondsey (Die geheimen Akten des Sir Arthur Conan Doyler (digital 2014) [KINDLE EDITION ASIN: B00JFUPBPU] by Raimon Weber
"Akte 3 – Wir schreiben das Jahr 1909. Im Londoner Stadtteil Bermondsey leben die Menschen unter widrigsten Umständen. Armut, Krankheit und schlimme Verbrechen gehören zum Alltag. Im dritten Fall der fesselnden Serie „Die geheimen Akten des Sir Arthur Conan Doyle“ trifft der scharfsinnige Schriftsteller auf einen traumatisierten Waisenjungen, der steif und fest behauptet, um ein Haar dem Tod in einer dunklen Höhle entkommen zu sein. Sein Körper weist merkwürdige Einstiche auf. Man munkelt, ein gehörntes Wesen – der Satan von Bermondsey – treibe sein furchtbares Unwesen in den nächtlichen Gassen. Ob der Junge beinahe sein Opfer geworden wäre? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ist einem Geheimnis auf der Spur, das sein ganzes Leben verändern wird- [Source]


Three books for me and maybe for you too
 Of course I'm still interested in new books and I still like to read real books. Today I want to share three books with you which aroused my interest and therefore I ordered copies in advance. Two of the books are not part of a series.


The Milkweed Tryptich trilogy by Ian Tregillis was an extraordinary good series which I enjoyed a lot. If you did not read it, I can tell you that I highly recommend it-
Now I look forward to March 2015 when
 The Mechanical (digital and pb 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00JV1W61K; ISBN-13: 978-0356502328] by Ian Tregillis will be published in. I like the cover and got hooked by the description
"My name is Jax.

That is the name granted to be by my human masters.

I am a clakker: a mechanical man, powered by alchemy. Armies of my kind have conquered the world - and made the Brasswork Throne the sole superpower.

I am a faithful servant. I am the ultimate fighting machine. I am endowed with great strength and boundless stamina.

But I am beholden to the wishes of my human masters.

I am a slave. But I shall be free.
" [Source]



The next book will be published in October 2014 and it is a stand-alone fantasy. I sounds like the right book for autumn. I talk about  The Free (digital and pb October 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00IA2E614; ISBN-13: 978-0316233491] by Brian Ruckley.
"A warrior of legend. A warrior to be feared.

The famed Yulan is leader of The Free, the last remaining band of mercenaries in the Hommetic Kingdom. He and his comrades have earned a reputation of mythic proportions by selling their martial and magical talents to the highest bidder. Feared and revered, they were once seen as a threat to the Hommetic Kingdom's power - until they outlasted it in the course of a bloody rebellion.

With the oppressive monarch overthrown, The Free plan to finally lay down their weapons, hoping for a chance of peace at last. But their enemies will not let them rest just yet. For the final contract Yulan is offered is one he'll be unable to refuse - not when he learns the target is the very man responsible for the worst atrocity he has ever witnessed. It is an evil that Yulan failed to prevent - one that has haunted him ever since. And now is his last chance to right that wrong.

But as Yulan and his companions embark on their last journey, a potent mix of vengeance, love and loyalty is building to a storm. It is a storm so violent it is likely to destroy the last of the free companies. And only then will they discover the true price of freedom." [Source]

Finally I need to talk about an upcoming historical fiction book. Lamentation (digital and pb October 2014; hc February 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00K6ECROM; pb ISBN-13: 978-1447260257; hc ISBN-13: 978-0316254960] is the sixth book in the The Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom. This series is from my point of a must read for fans of historical thrillers. Unfortunately I read only  Dissolution ( first printed in 2003, paperback 2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0330450799] so far which me really impressed. For more information about the author and the series please visit the official website.
"As Henry VIII lies on his deathbed, an incendiary manuscript threatens to tear his court apart in the new installment of C.J. Sansom's Shardlake series.

Autumn, 1546. King Henry VIII is slowly, painfully dying. His Protestant and Catholic councillors prepare for a final and decisive power struggle; whoever wins will control the government. The Catholics decide to focus their attack on Henry's sixth wife, the Protestant Queen Catherine Parr. As Catherine begins to lose the King's favor, she turns to the shrewd, hunchbacked lawyer, Matthew Shardlake, to contain a potentially fatal secret.

The Queen has written a confessional book, Lamentation of a Sinner, a memoir so radical that if it came to the King's attention, it could bring her and her courtly sympathizers to ruination. The London printer into whose hands she entrusted the manuscript has been murdered, the book nowhere to be found.

Shardlake's investigations take him down a trail that begins among printshops in the filthy backstreets of London, but leads him once more to the labyrinthine world of court politics, where Protestant friends can be as dangerous as Catholic enemies, and those who will support either side to further their ambition are the most dangerous of all." [Source]
This is the official book trailer


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Futuristic vehicle
Just head over to Dark Roasted Blend and enjoy an amazing vehicle:



Military kit through the ages
What do you know about the personal equipment of a common British soldier through the past 1,000 years? I must say I know a little bit mostly from reading of historical fiction.
If you would like to get more information about that, then I highly recommend to visit The Telegraph and have a look at




English Riviera
Do you know the English Riviera?  I read about it but I have never been there. Over at The History Girls you can read about the historical background.



The 40 fruit tree
I saw a short report about this extraordinary tree on TV. But I'm happy that the WebUrbanist picked it up and so I can share it with you.




Poppies, Blood, The Tower of London
I do not want to say more than this is a demonstration of the power of images. Goto WebUrbanist be mesmerized by the pictures you see at



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I does not matter how old I get. I will love stop-motion animated films forever. That is the reason why I need to go to cinema in October 2014 in order to enjoy The Boxtrolls
"A young orphaned boy raised by underground cave-dwelling trash collectors tries to save his friends from an evil exterminator. Based on the children's novel 'Here Be Monsters' by Alan Snow." [Source]
 Watch the following two trailers and have fun.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Are you an optimist or an pessimist? It does not matter when it comes to following quoute ....



"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell, US essayist and novelist, 1879 - 1958

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the look of The Boxtrolls!
You did well to power through past page 170. Not sure I would've done it.
And turned my manuscript over to my critique partners this week, so one step closer. One reported back yesterday that she's really enjoying it, so fingers crossed.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
sometimes one has to power through. There are so many books waiting for me.

Of course I cross my fingers for you. I can't wait to get a first glimpse of your new book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...