Sunday, March 02, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1409

Hello and welcome to issue #1409 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I "survived" another week with extended working time. Fortunately I found some time to continue reading. Now I need to find time for a review.


ENJOY READING ....

UPDATE!
I'm really sorry for the delay! Seems I was too tired yesterday because I scheduled the post for April 2014!


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. The return of Fitz
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Reviews
  2. Ridiculous
  3. Pfbl
  4. "being good has very little to do with material success in life"
  5. Classic and modern
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something completely different

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to the center of the universe

The Lighthouse

Don't ask me how I managed to get more time for reading. I did not finish a book which did not surprise me when I take in account the length of my current reads.




I finished

- No book


I'm

- 254 pages in Prophecy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317646] by S. J. Parris
I read two more chapters.

- 420 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
I'm halfway through. It is an impressive read.

- 334 pages in Arcanum (digital 2013) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00DI7HKHS] by Simon Morden
I could not resist to have a look and I have been hooked immediately. Excellent world, characters and story.

No progress

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I talked about Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126] by Geoffrey Wilson. As promised the author sent me a paperback copy. A big thank you goes to Geoffrey Wilson.
In case you missed my post last weekend I post again cover and description of the book.
The War of the Grail (pb, 2014)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721188] by Geoffrey Wilson.
"In Land of Hope and Glory Geoffrey Wilson imagined a world in which an Indian empire rules Europe through the power of magic.

In The Place of Dead Kings, Jack Casey — an old soldier who never meant to be a hero — became England's only hope.

Now it is 1856, King John is dead, and the war that Jack has dreaded since the start of the English rebellion has finally begun. Regiments of Rajthanan troops are massing to the south of free Shropshire, while to the north refugees bring stories of attacks by the devil himself. Both friends and enemies fear that unless Jack can find the elusive Holy Grail, there is no hope. . .

A strange set of maps that Jack discovered in Scotland could hold the key to England's freedom. Kanvar, the rebels' enigmatic Sikh ally, believes the charts will unlock the secrets of the Rajthanans' magic and perhaps guide Jack to the Grail itself. But can Jack harness the power of the Grail before the conqueror's overwhelming forces destroy the dream of a free England forever?" [Source]
I maintain several wish lists over at my amazon account. That makes it a lot easier to check price offers.
It works well and one result is the following book which dropped temporary to a price of 0.89 EUR (= 1,23 USD; 0.73 GBP).
The Glactic Mage (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW; ISBN-13: 978-1466276840] by John Daulton.
"Altin Meade is a sorcerer with a curse. Seeking to avoid a looming doom, he sets his magical sights on the stars—a quest that will likely bring about the very end he's seeking to escape.

Far across the galaxy, Ensign Orli Pewter of planet Earth has a looming doom of her own—one of loneliness, depression and, worse, a race of genocidal aliens known as Hostiles seeking to destroy humanity. Trapped aboard a spaceship she never asked to be upon, Orli is in a fight for her life and her sanity.

Worlds apart, Altin and Orli share a destiny, though neither knows the other is alive. The Hostiles know. And they have other plans." [Source]
This is the first book in the series and it aroused my interest because of the combination of fantasy and science fiction. So far three books are available and a fourth book is in progress.
This is the book trailer.
For more information please visit Daulton Books.


UPDATE! Thanks to Zoltán Gecse for mentioning
This is wrong
Two authors
Today I want to talk about two female authors. 

One author
I still remember the one and only reason why I wanted to go to school: I wanted to learn to read. Books accompany me my whole life. In autumn 2007 I started to read books in English which opened a completely new world for me. So many more fantasy and science fiction books to choose from. There are so many books which will never be translated to German. Fortunately the books by Robin Hobb, especially the Farseer trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy have been translated to German. I devoured these books and FitzChivalry is one of my all time favorite characters.
With all that in mind you may understand why I was "dancing" around the table when I got the information that will return to the world of Fitz in the complete new Fitz and the Fool trilogy! The cover of  Fool's Assassin which will be the first book in the new series, has been revealed by Robin Hobb's American Publisher (Del Ray Books) [Source].
Furthermore an exclusive chapter of Fool's Assassin  is available over at io9.com. I'm torn to read it or not. If you want to read this chapter please follow THIS LINK.




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Reviews
When you look at the reviews I wrote so far, you will recognize that I mostly post positive reviews. The reason for that is simple. If I do not like a book then I do not finish it and from my point of you it is necessary to read a book completely in order to write a proper review. But nevertheless it is important to talk about such books and to explain the reasons why I did not like it.
Therefore I appreciate other blogger when they explain why they could not finish a book.
Have a look at following post which I found over at Fantasy Book Review:



Ridiculous
It is no secret that I like Steampunk and the Victorian Era a lot. I'm happy to see when people appear in their fantastic clothes. From my own experience I can tell you that most people who belong to the Steampunk community around the world are open-minded and friendly. Read the following post over at Steampunk Costume in order to see what can happen when you wear Steampunk clothes. This is absolutely ridiculous!!



Pfbl
That reads like a type error. In fact this is my abbreviation for Post for book lovers. It is a worthy description for the following enlightening post over at English Historical Fiction Authors:



"being good has very little to do with material success in life"
This is a quote from post over at English Historical Fiction Authors. It is a post which shows that in some cases mankind did not change. If you like to compare specific human behavior  aspects between  past and present then you should read




Classic and modern
There are a few towns in the world where classic and modern comes together. It is amazing to see the results when you combine classic and modern in pictures. Just head over to WebUrbanist and you will immediately understand what I tried to say:


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

After all the work in the past days I needed something to relax like listening to music. By random I discovered some bands from Germany which are completely new to me. May wife likes two of the three bands as much as I do. So we ordered Cd's. You see I also buy other things beside books.
I'm pretty sure that you none of these artists. Nevertheless I would like to show one video from each of the bands.
So have a look at what you can discover music wise in Germany ......

Let me start with an really unusual artist with the name Rummelsnuff who looks more like Popeye than a musician. In 1968 Paolo Conte composed the Italian pop song Azzurro. The most famous version has been performed by Adriano Celentano. I must say I like the version by Rummelsnuffmuch more. Here we go:


The name of the next band is Mr. Hurley & Die Pulveraffen who play Plank Rock. Their music is full of high spirits. The song "Blau wie das Meer" is a good example for what to expect from the band:

The chorus in German
"Ich bin blau wie das Meer
Voll wie unser Laderaum
Breit so wie die Ärsche der Weiber von Tortuga
Ich bin blau wie das Meer
Geladen wie ein Bordgeschütz
Und dichter als der Nebel um Kap Hoorn"

A word by word translation  which makes not really sense
"I'm blue as the sea
Full as our cargo space
Wide as the asses of the women of Tortuga
I'm blue as the sea
Loaded like a gun aboard
And denser than the fog around Cape Horn
"

Indeed all the lines show different German expressions of
I'm three sheets in the wind
Let me emphasize that I do not know any woman  from Tortuga.
No offense intended.

The third and final band is Harms & Kappelle recently found in Hamburg. This is the band which I like more as my wife do. Their debut album Meilenstein has been released on 28th of February 2014 and will be available at amazon in US and UK within March 2014. So far one full song and seven song trailers are available at YouTube. I could not resist and ordered a CD a few hours ago. I expect delivery on next Wednesday. In the meantime I enjoy listening to


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Just read and think about it ....




"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.

Bernard Bailey

4 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

Who is the second female writter at the "Two authors" segment? (I think you can be tired, because you mistyped (doubled the b-s) Robin Hobb's name.)

I really loved her trilogy. However the 3rd book wasn't enterely met my expectations, but it was also good. I'm very curious about the new book. I hope it'll good as the first two books of the Farseer trilogy.

In Hungary the publisherd divided her first book of the "Liveship series" in to parts, but they only published the first part of it. It was 5 years ago. Luckily an other publisher had an idea to publish this series again, and they released the mentioned book fully last year. It's very annoying.

The Hungarian publishing of the Malazan series is also very annoying, because they translated the first eight book, but they only released the first seven of it. It's a slight chance to release the 8th book of this series, but they had mentioned, they didn't quite sure about releasing the last two book of this series. The original language of the Malazan's books are too tought to me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Definitely want to check out the steampunk group chased out of a mall.
You scheduled this for April originally? Now that's tired!

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,
thank you very much for mentioning my mistakes. This should not happen. I corrected the mistakes.
The original idea was to write about two authors. By the way the second one is Lynn Flewelling. I will write about her next week.

I think the phenomenon of dividing translated books into several parts happens in many countries.
Therefore I'm deeply grateful that I can read books in English.

I admit that the Malazan books in original language are a challenge to read. I need more time for them.
The German edition is still not finished. The next book will be number 15 which seems to be the first part of The Crippled God and it will be published in January 2016!!!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I'm definitely tired. A tribute to many working hours .....

The story about the Steampunk group is true.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...