Sunday, November 13, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1146

http://www.towersofdawn.com/TheBooks.html

Hello and welcome to issue #1146 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
As I posted yesterday I have been really exhausted and tired. After one and a half day rest I feel refreshed enough to write the delayed issue #1146 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Let's have a look at what I found within a few hours worth to show you.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Courtney Schafer
  2. Rosalie Skinner
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Varangian story continues
  2. From THE LAST PAGE to BLACK BOTTLE
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. No movies today
Games
The old codger himself (ediFanoB) tortures PC and Consoles
  1. The game we will play for the next months


Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Yes, I found one

The Lighthouse

Most of the 525 pages I read last week I consumed on Saturday and Sunday. Anyway I was more than happy to that I doubled my reading progress compared to the week before. Only 1830 pages left until I read my target of 25550 pages in 2011!

I finished

- The Metalmark Contract (pb, March 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1612960111] by David Batchelor (I read a PDF copy)
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is a sf story for more technical orientated readers.
The use of abbreviations and titles is sometimes annoying. The end does not fit to the rest of the story. It is too "soft" and evaporating all the a good stuff which has been created before.
As the book ends with the hint that this is the end of book one I assume that there will be a sequel.
It is a solid book with interesting ideas."



I did not finish

- The Passage (pb, US 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0345525222] by Justin Cronin
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I stopped reading after 218 pages which is a quarter of the book.
So far I found only two passages interesting for me. I could not connect to any of the characters. the story went along slowly and partially as tough as leather.
I have had high expectations after all the hype and I have been disappointed.
It seems I should should stay away from hyped books.
One cannot love all books.
I do not rate the book because I did not finish it."



I'm

- 154 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
Only minor progress. I hope to finish it until end of 2011. It seems it takes longer to finish thick volumes even they are great.

- 335 pages in Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
I finished the first book of the omnibus - The Crown Conspiracy - and now I'm in Avempartha.
So far I wrote on GOODREADS:
"A few minutes ago I finished The Crown Conspiracy which is book one of the omnibus.
It made my day. What a great and entertaining read. A story with twists and turns and loveable characters.
If you are looking for and extraordinary good traditional epic fantasy then read
the Riyria Revelations series.
Review will follow when I have finished the omnibus.
"

- 159 pages in TimeRiders: The Eternal War (416 pages, pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141336336] by Alex Scarrow
This is the fourth book in the planned seven book time travel series TimeRiders.
This time the travel goes back to the American Civil War ....


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received two electronic copies of books. Every day I yearn for our Ebook Reader. I can't read books on my laptop after working ten or more hours in front of a screen.

Courtney Schafer, author of The Whitefire Crossing (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] , has been so kind to send me an electronic copy of her book.
"Dev is a smuggler with the perfect cover. He's in high demand as a guide for the caravans that carry legitimate goods from the city of Ninavel into the country of Alathia. The route through the Whitefire Mountains is treacherous, and Dev is one of the few climbers who knows how to cross them safely. With his skill and connections, it's easy enough to slip contraband charms from Ninavel - where any magic is fair game, no matter how dark - into Alathia, where most magic is outlawed.
But smuggling a few charms is one thing; smuggling a person through the warded Alathian border is near suicidal. Having made a promise to a dying friend, Dev is forced to take on a singularly dangerous cargo: Kiran. A young apprentice on the run from one of the most powerful mages in Ninavel, Kiran is desperate enough to pay a fortune to sneak into a country where discovery means certain execution - and he'll do whatever it takes to prevent Dev from finding out the terrible truth behind his getaway.
Yet Kiran isn't the only one harboring a deadly secret. Caught up in a web of subterfuge and dark magic, Dev and Kiran must find a way to trust each other - or face not only their own destruction, but that of the entire city of Ninavel." [Source]

I must say I really look forward to read it. You will understand me when you follow this link.

Last week I posted about Rosalie Skinner and her books.
And a few days ago I received an electronic copy of Exiled: The Legacy of Lathraine's Pledge (eBook, November 11th 2011) [MuseItUp Publishing] by Rosalie Skinner, which is the third book in the Chronicles of Caleath series.
"Rumors regarding the return of the Deathbringer are spreading but Caleath’s disappearance lengthens. Can he free himself and the Archimage Tallowbrand from the dragon’s lair? What interest does Azriel have in his survival? What does the future hold if such power is unleashed?
The threat facing the Southern Regions of Allorn spreads north as warm weather awakens the Tarack. An alliance of Vergöttern and human forces now face overwhelming odds as they battle to keep the rich grain belts free from the giant ants. Without Caleath, hope of keeping the Tarack confined fades.
On Dragonslair Island, Caleath’s return heralds a new threat. Releasing the dead Archimage Tallowbrand and surviving as the Deathbringer brings the sorceress Azriel’s plans closer to fruition.
To save Nasith he must face the Tarack queen and her horde. Each survived challenge only brings him closer to confronting the ever powerful Azriel." [Source]
I can't wait to read how Caleath's story will continue ...


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

End of September 2011 I reviewed Varangian: The Stone of Babylon (eBook , September 2011) [ASIN: B005KN3XOC]by Sabine Atkins (Visit the author on GOODREADS)
Now you can read the prologue of the second book - Varangian: The Assassins of Teneo Mundus - over at the official website. The book will be published in 2012. As soon as I get the information I will let you know the final publishing date.


End of 2010 I reviewed The Last Page (hc, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325160] by Anthony Huso. It is part of a duology which will be finished with Black Bottle.
Then there was a long period of silence. Then I found following information over at Risingshadow:
Black Bottle (hc, US July 17th 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325174] by Anthony Huso.
"A sequel to The Last Page.
T
abloids sold in the Duchy of Stonehold claim that the High King, Caliph Howl, has been raised from the dead. His consort, Sena Iilool, both blamed and celebrated for this act, finds that a macabre cult has sprung up around her.
A
s this news spreads, Stonehold—long considered unimportant — comes to the attention of the emperors in the southern countries. They have learned that the seed of Sena’s immense power lies in an occult book, and they are eager to claim it for their own.
D
esparate to protect his people from the southern threat, Caliph is drawn into a summit of the world’s leaders despite the knowledge that it is a trap. As Sena’s bizarre actions threaten to unravel the summit, Caliph watches her slip through his fingers into madness.
B
ut is it really madness? Sena is playing a dangerous game of strategy and deceit as she attempts to outwit a force that has spent millennia preparing for this day. Caliph is the only connection left to her former life, but it’s his blood that Sena needs to see her plans through to their explosive finish.
D
ark and rich, epic in scope, Anthony Huso has crafted a fantasy like no other, teeming with unthinkable horrors and stylish wonders."

I liked a lot The Last Page and look forward to read Black Bottle.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Last Tuesday my wife and I wanted to see the Adventures of Tintin in 3D. Unfortunately my wife fell ill. So we postponed our Adventures of Tintin session to next Tuesday.

Beside that I did not find a trailer which I would have liked to show you.

That's all for today. See you next time....

ames

Hey, it's me ediFanoB. Against all odds I play games. Once a while I will talk about games I like.

Since 11.11.11 our family owns two copies of SKYRIM (PC and PS3).
My wife and I play on PS3 and our daughter on PC. After a few hours of game play I can tell you we love it. It such an awesome game!!!

In case you are not familiar with the ElderScrolls series you should have a look ad following video.


The following sneak peek gives you on impression of Skyrim.




That's it for now. See you when I have time ....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There was not much time for research. But I found the following one which I would like to share with you .....

"I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.
Alice Roosevelt Longworth, US author & wit (1884 - 1980)

6 comments:

RaveAir said...

I'm a little bit envy with you because you had time to play with Skyrim.

Have you seen the trailer of Snow White and the Huntsman yet? If not, here is the trailer: http://youtu.be/55Dq2psogSw

And I'd like to share a picture with you (maybe I was sent it to you through twitter yet): http://static.sorozatjunkie.hu/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/westeros_by_other_in_law.jpg

Anonymous said...

Hi Edi,

I hope that you are not so stressed atm, and that you have time to enjoy Skyrim.
I had the chance to play it on the weekend and it ate my time away. Great game!!!!

I am quite eager to learn what you think about "The Whitefire Crossing". It's on my list also since it was published.

I have to recommend it again to you: "A thousand suns" by Alex Scarrow. Maybe you find the time to take a look.

@ RaveAir: I saw this trailer, and it seems to be (hopefully) a good movie.

Nic

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You did good with the Weekend Wave under pressure!
Huso's book cover looks cool.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Well done Edi. Another great post. Your reading goal is mammoth. It's great to catch up on your news each week.
Now I want to play with Skyrim too. How much fun would that be?
Take life easy...
Not long now till you get your Christmas ereader!

ediFanoB said...

First of all,
RaveAir, Anonymus, Alex and Rosalie please apologize delay in my answer.

@RaveAir thanks for the links. Trailer and picture are both impressive.
I love Skyrim because it gives you so many opportunities.

@Anonymus Skyrim is my game of the year 2011. It offers everything I ever wanted from a role playing game. The only mess is to find time for playing.
Not sure when I will read "The Whitefire Crossing." It will even get more difficult when it comes to reviews.

@Alex thanks for the kind words. I started my blog in order to have fun and not to have more pressure. Anyway I will keep my promise (early review and guest post).

@Rosalie the next weekend post will contain some surprises for you!!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Surprises? Wheee.. I can't wait.
I can announce that NOW book two Exiled: Winter's Curse is now on Amazon. It's been a long wait, but hey.. that's part of the journey.

Thanks Edi.. I look forward to next weeks post!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...