Saturday, January 29, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1104

Hello and welcome to issue #04 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Let me start with a plain equation: More time for sleep means less time forother things. And that is what happened in the past week. I want to post a review on last Sunday and I failed. I wanted to post this review on last Wednesday and I failed. what shall I say more than it has been a sad week concerning blogging. It is sad for me and of course for you my dear readers. In case this continues, I need a kind of break. We will see.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content, reading progress and "hunger" for specific books
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Book Trailer
  2. Steven L. Shrewsbury: Interview
  3. Octo furniture
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Clockwork Girl
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Random Quotes ....

The Lighthouse

As usual in 2011 today you can see the of my reading statistics in the right column of the blog. There have been three days where I read less than 70 pages and two day where I read more than 70 pages. So in sum I read 517 pages within the last seven days.

I finished Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I'm 95 pages in The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder and 98 pages in The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card (I read it at the gym). Today I will start with Dream of Legends by Stephen Zimmer.

Since I finished Doomsday Book by Connie Willis I "hunger" for historical thriller. Of course Iown enough books to choose from like The Pike Mystery series by Andrew Pepper or The Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom or ....


Following reviews are still in progress:
- The Monarchies of God series by Paul Kearney
- Dark Side by Jonathan Green
- Veins by Lawrence C. Connolly
- THRALL by Steven Shrewsbury
And the next one on the list is
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

I will post them whenever I finish one.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received just one book. It is book six in a series where I read only the first book so far.

I talk about The Sea Watch (mmpb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0330511469] by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
"A shadow is falling over Collegium. Despite the tenuous peace, Stenwold Maker knows that the Empire will return for his city. Even as he tries to prepare for the resurgence of the black and gold, a hidden threat is steadily working against his people. Ships that sail from Collegium's harbour are being attacked, sunk by pirates. Some just go missing ...Lulled by the spread of lies and false promises Stenwold's allies are falling away from him. He faces betrayal on every side, and the Empire is just waiting for the first sign of weakness to strike. But the Empire is not the only power that has its eyes on Collegium. And even the Wasp-kinden may be powerful enough to stave off the forces massing in the darkness and turning hungry eyes towards Stenwold's city." [Source]
I collect several series. I'm thinking about to read minimum one series within 2011. So far I have not decided yet which one it will be. Shadows of the Apt series is one of them ...

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you like book trailer? From time totime you find real gems like the following one. I don't need to tell you the author of the book. I don't need to present you the cover. I don't need to quote the blurb. The book trailer delivers all in one ......



Recently I finished Thrall (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0983108634] by Steven L. Shrewsbury.
"Thrall is gritty, dark-edged heroic fantasy in the vein of Robert E. Howard and David Gemmell. It is a maelstrom of hard-hitting action and unpredictable imagery, taking place within an incredible antediluvian world. In Gorias La Gaul, Thrall introduces an iconic new character to the realms of fantasy literature. Thrall invites the reader to go on a perilous journey where it is not a matter of whether one has the courage to die, but whether one has the courage to live." [Source]
For all of you who would like to get more information about Thrall and Steven L. Shrewsbury, I recommend to read An Interview with Steven L.Shrewsbury over at WPR.


You like unusual furniture? Then you should have a look at octo furniture.
Maybe this chair and this table are waiting just for you.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.
"The Tinkerer is a mad scientist convinced that mechanical technology is a stable and precise science and is more important than all of the other sciences. Metal twists and bends, gears, axles, and ratchets work in unison giving life to a conscious machine - The Astonishing Clockwork Girl! The Grafter believes that the natural uncontainable power of biology should be revered against all other sciences. Assembling a body from parts of exhumed corpses, organs, skin, and limbs are stitched together to create the son that he could not have - The Amazing Mutant Boy! Life is beautiful. The Astonishing Clockwork Girl and the Amazing Mutant Boy begin to take their first steps into this world, learning about individual existence, freedom, and choice.But a true understanding of who they are can't begin until they meet...Arcana's Sean O'Reilly and Disney's Kevin Hanna have created this wonderful, all-ages fairytale beautifully illustrated by Revere's Grant Bond. This beautiful hardcover collects all four issues of "The Clockwork Girl" along with never before seen images, interviews, and concept art." [Source]
This is the short description of the graphic novel The Clockwork Girl [ISBN-13: 978-0980920413] by Sean Patrick O'Reilly, Kevin Hanna and Grant Bond.

The good thing is there will be a movie soon. For details I recommend to visit the official THE CLOCKWORK GIRL site.

Of course there is a trailer available which I like to present you:


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I is quite difficult to search quotes without inspiration. That means today you get random quotes as last week and the week before ......

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.
George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.
Malcolm X, Malcolm X Speaks, 1965, US black nationalist leader (1925 - 1965)

"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.
Lyndon B. Johnson, 36th president of US (1908 - 1973)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The cover of The Sea Watch is cool.
And The Clockwork Girl looks like a blend of Frankenstein and Battle Angel Alita.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

to be honest I don't know Battle Angel Alita.

Imust admit that I like all paperback covers in the Shadows of the Apt series ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...