Saturday, January 08, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1101

Hello and welcome to issue #01 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Winter left Germany for an unknown time. Instead we got a lot of rain. Unbelievable or not I started to play my first online game ever. It does not matter how old you are, to discover new things makes life interesting.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Blog content and reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. One book, two titles, a debut .....
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Winner of the 2010 Pluto Award
  2. Girl Gangs .....
  3. CassaStar trailer on they way to win a book trailer contest?
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Falling Skies
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Elephant ....

The Lighthouse

Last Saturday I told you about my reading plans in form of numbers. And today you get the first update as you can see in the right column of the blog. The lat seven days I read 30 pages more than expected. All in all I'm happy to have read 520 pages.
After a long time I finished the Century of the Soldierby Paul Kearney, which is the second omnibus of The Monarchies of God series and contains three books.
Beside that I could not resist to start reading the Vampire Empire Book One: The Grey Friar by Clay and Susan Griffith. Only 90 pages left which means I will finish it tomorrow.

Do not expect a review on upcoming Sunday. I need some time to write The Monarchies of God review. I'm sure to present you my first review in 2011 on Sunday 16th January.

My reading plans for the rest of the month are a bit vague. So far I will read to books in PDF format. I still wait for a package with several books. Depending on the delivery date I will decide what else I will read.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received one book. I still wait for a package. I has been sent in December and I really, really hope it has not been lost.

I received the paperback edition of The Passage (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0345525222] by Justin Cronin.
"First, the unthinkable: a security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. Then, the unspeakable: a night of chaos and carnage gives way to sunrise on a nation, and ultimately a world, forever altered. All that remains for the stunned survivors is the long fight ahead and a future ruled by fear - of darkness, of death, of a fate far worse.
As civilization swiftly crumbles into a primal landscape of predators and prey, two people flee in search of sanctuary. FBI agent Brad Wolgast is a good man haunted by what he's done in the line of duty. Six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte is a refugee from the doomed scientific project that has triggered apocalypse. He is determined to protect her from the horror set loose by her captors. But for Amy, escaping the bloody fallout is only the beginning of a much longer odyssey - spanning miles and decades - towards the time and place where she must finish what should never have begun." [Source]
It will take me around 12 days to read The Passage based on my assumption to read two hours per day. I have to think about when to read it....


"Drug dealers, hustlers, brothels, dirty politics, corrupt cops . . . and sorcery. Welcome to Low Town.
In the forgotten back alleys and flophouses that lie in the shadows of Rigus, the finest city of the Thirteen Lands, you will find Low Town. It is an ugly place, and its cham­pion is an ugly man. Disgraced intelligence agent. Forgotten war hero. Independent drug dealer. After a fall from grace five years ago, a man known as the Warden leads a life of crime, addicted to cheap violence and expensive drugs. Every day is a constant hustle to find new customers and protect his turf from low-life competition like Tancred the Harelip and Ling Chi, the enigmatic crime lord of the heathens.
The Warden’s life of drugged iniquity is shaken by his dis­covery of a murdered child down a dead-end street . . . set­ting him on a collision course with the life he left behind. As a former agent with Black House—the secret police—he knows better than anyone that murder in Low Town is an everyday thing, the kind of crime that doesn’t get investi­gated. To protect his home, he will take part in a dangerous game of deception between underworld bosses and the psy­chotic head of Black House, but the truth is far darker than he imagines. In Low Town, no one can be trusted." [Source]

I admit that I'm totally intrigued since I read the blurb. And It seems that publishers have been impressed too. Why?
First of all this debut novel will be translated into following languages: German, French, Spanish, Croat and Polish which is not a standard procedure for fantasy novels.
Secondly it will be simultaneously published with different titles in US and UK. The author of the book is Daniel Polansky.
Doubleday will publish the book in US and Canada on August 16, 201. Title: LOW TOWN
Hodder & Stoughton will publish the book in UK and Commonwealth on August 18, 2011. Title:
THE STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE

So far I can show you the US cover. I try to get the UK cover as soon as possible.

I stay in contact with author Daniel Polansky and I will get a review copy. That means you can expect a review around the publishing date. Until then I try to deliver you more information.


No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Exactly one year ago I reviewed by which is the first book in the series. And on December 18th 2010 Stephen Zimmer won the 2010 Pluto Award!!
Belayed congratulations Stephen!! You deserve it. Stephen has been so kind to send me a picture of the proud winner and his prize.


Recently I read a quite interesting book review in the Guardian. I want to share the article with all of my readers, especially with all who are interested in historical crime thrillers. Let me quote the beginning of Girl gang's grip on London underworld revealed
"Girl gangs might sound like a modern British problem, but new research has revealed an all-female crime syndicate had a firm and pitiless grip on London as far back as the 18th century."
I recommend to read the whole article which is a book review of Gangs of London (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1903854914] by Brian McDonald
"Decades before the Krays, London was plagued by gang warfare as vicious and terrifying as anything that was to come. Territorial tribes fought pitched battles for honour and pride. As the Bethnal Green Boys hunted Hackney’s Broadway Boys, Clerkenwell fought Somers Town, the Red Hands haunted Deptford and the Silver Hatchets terrorised Islington, the police and courts seemed powerless to cope.
This first ever history of these intriguing street mobs traces them from Jonathan Wild, the original gang leader and archetype for Dickens’s Fagin, to sprawling super-mobs like the Titanic from east London and the infamous Elephant and Castle Gang. It tells the full story of the ferocious Racecourse Wars, when Darby Sabini, Billy Kimber, Freddie Gilbert and others slugged it out for control of bookmakers pitches, and of such big hitters as George Sage, the guv’nor of Camden Town, Tommy Benneworth and Dodger Mullins.
Every district had its ‘firm’, from Kings Cross to Chelsea and Peckham to the Angel, some forming alliances to rout their deadliest rivals. Even as they gave way to more organised gangsters like Billy Hill, Jack Spot and Johnny Carter, the street gangs still supplied many of their henchmen and most feared fighters. Gangs of London is a riveting journey through the violent underbelly of one of the world’s great cities." [Source]

For me it sounds like a scratch book for a historical crime series ......

In October 2010 I reviewed the science fiction debut novel CassaStaR (October 19th,2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0981621067] by Alex J. Cavanaugh. I liked the book a lot and I liked the awesome CassaStaR book trailer too. Watch the trailer again!


There is a BOOK TRAILER CONTEST over at Spunk On A Stick. And the CassaStaR book trailer made it to the final round!!!
If you like the CassaStaR book trailer as much as I do then don't hesitate and vote for the CassaStaR book trailer at the BOOK TRAILER CONTEST.
But hurry up!! Voting ends at 9 pm on Sunday, January 9.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

From time to time I have a look at upcoming series in US TV. Even I can't be sure that they will aired in Germany too. Today you get some information about Falling Skies, produced by Steven Spielberg.
"FALLING SKIES opens in the chaotic aftermath of an alien attack that has left most of the world completely incapacitated. In the six months since the initial invasion, the few survivors have banded together outside major cities to begin the difficult task of fighting back. Each day is a test of survival as citizen soldiers work to protect the people in their care while also engaging in an insurgency campaign against the occupying alien force.
At the center of the series is Tom Mason (Noah Wyle), a Boston history professor whose family has been torn apart. His wife was killed in the initial attack, and one of his three sons has been captured. Determined to get his son back and to ensure the safety of his other two sons, Tom must put his extensive knowledge of military history to the test as one of the leaders of the resistance movement known as the 2nd Mass, because of their location in Boston, Mass. They are constantly trying to gain intelligence about the aliens in order to one day outsmart and overtake them and hopefully rebuild their lives.
[...]
FALLING SKIES focuses on the resilience of the survivors and their determination to maintain their humanity when all else has been destroyed. It is a tale of endurance, commitment and courage in which everyday people are called upon to become heroes. They may be outmatched, outnumbered and outgunned, but nothing can beat the human spirit. Most of all, the series is about the ties that bind people together in the most difficult of circumstances.
The aliens in the series are mighty, mysterious and merciless. They are highly intelligent and use military-like tactics, which makes them an overwhelming force against the 2nd Mass. There are two types of aliens that the human survivors have named Skitters and Mechs. Combining live action and special visual effects, the Skitters have spider-like bodies and incredible strength and agility. The deadly, robotic Mechs stand upright and can shoot bullets from their arms. The aliens control captured children, like Tom's son Ben, through bio-mechanical harnesses but have yet to reveal their ultimate plan for them. "

I must say for me it sounds interesting enough to give it a try, in case it will be aired in Germany.
So let's have a look at the trailer ....




That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Elephant is the keyword of today's quotes ......

"When you have got an elephant by the hind leg, and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.
Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

"An elephant is a mouse with an operating system
Author unknown

"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see.
Jack Handy, American Writer and cast member of Saturday Night Live from 1991-2003.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are one awesome dude - appreciate it!!
And looking forward to Falling Skies - shows promise.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
let me return the compliment. You are an awesome author who really takes care on his followers and readership.

I'm glad you liked what I posted about CassaStar.

Daniel Polansky said...

I just wanted to say thank you very much for mentioning my book. I'm very excited for people to read it!

ediFanoB said...

@Daniel Polansky,

It was a pleasure to post about your book. I'm totally keen to read LOW TOWN / THE STRAIGHT RAZOR CURE.

Wish you a lot of success.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...