Saturday, July 10, 2010

Edi's Weekend Wave #28

Hello and welcome to issue #28 of Edi's Weekend Wave. Last week I talked about temperatures. And we still suffer from a heatwave. We are not used to temperatures of 38 ºC = 100.4 ºF. While I'm writing this post - perspiring in front of my notebook because we have no air condtion at home - I listen to the weather forecast: the heat will accompany us for ten more days, the humidity will raise and we should expect local thunderstorms ....
I try to distract myself from the heat with reading and reviewing.
Now enjoy reading ...


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Announcement
  2. Repetition
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received this week
  2. Jonathan Green beyond PAX BITANNIA
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. 1984 in China?
  2. Electric Light?
  3. Blogger and bookseller .....
  4. K J Parker: Read a story online for free
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Tangled
Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Only one quote today . . . . .

The Lighthouse

Let me say it short and simple: On Thursday 8th July I posted about the reasons why I decided to read another book. Today I finished
Blood Royal (2010, 320 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519376] by Jonathan Green.
"Britain reels from the events that saw some of its citizens mutated into hideous insects. The streets are awash with rumors of a dark new religion created from the destruction surrounding St Paul's. In Europe the specter of war rears its ugly head; a war fought by unnatural beings. In the centre of the chaos, hero of the Empire, Ulysses Quicksilver must maintain his calm, while madness reigns and he fights to protect civilization!" [Source]
And tomorrow you will get my review! That is quick even for me. So don't forget to come back tomorrow.


I don't know how many blogs you follow. I follow a lot. That means I read a lot of variations of a specific message. I think an example w ill give you an understanding of what I mean. Did you count on how many blogs you could read about Listen to Chapters 4, 5 & 6 of The Way of Kings? I think I read about it on ten different blogs. Every time when this happens, I ask myself: Should I post about it too? And I can tell you a lot of times I say no.

What do you think about repeating messages?

Enjoy your weekend ....

Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week we received three books which are very different compared to each other.

The first one took me some time to get it. In sum I ordered it thrice. Luckily the third order worked.
The King's Bastard (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519000] by Rowena Cory Daniells is the first book in the King Rolen's Kin trilogy and the next two books will be published in August and September. The means you can read The King's Bastard, The Uncrowned King's (August, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519048] and The Ursurper (September, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1907519079] nearly back to back. Read the synopsis and watch the covers.
"Cloaked in silent winter snow the Kingdom of Rolencia sleeps as rumours spread of new Affinity Seeps, places where untamed power wells up. By royal decree, all those afflicted with Affinity must serve the Abbey or face death. Meanwhile, King Rolen plans his jubilee, unaware that danger threatens those he loves.
Sent to the Abbey because of his innate Affinity, the King’s youngest son, Fyn, trains to become a warrior monk. Unfortunately, he’s a gentle dreamer and the other acolytes bully him. The only way he can escape them is to serve the Abbey Mystic, but his Affinity is weak.
Fiercely loyal, thirteen year-old Piro is horrified to discover she is also cursed with unwanted Affinity. It broke their mother’s heart to send Fyn away, so she hides her affliction. When Fyn confesses his troubles, Piro risks exposure to help him.
Even though Byren Kingson is only seven minutes younger than his twin, Lence, he’s never hungered for the Rolencian throne. When a Seer predicts that he will kill Lence, he laughs. But Lence Kingsheir sees Byren’s growing popularity and resents it. Enduring loyalty could be Byren’s greatest failing."











I must admit that the covers have been the main reason why I ordered the books in advance. And this is the book trailer:

KRKhd from Daryl Lindquist on Vimeo.

The second book aroused my interest because I read and write a lot of mails every day like millions of other people. And that is the reason why this book could one for you:
Stop Me (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0749007133] by Richard Jay Parker.
"FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO TEN FRIENDS
IF IT ENDS UP IN MY INBOX WITHIN A WEEK
I WON'T SLIT THE BITCH'S THROAT ...
Eleven women dead. One gruesome MO. When Leo Sharpe's wife Laura disappears and the Vacation Killer claims responsibility, Leo's life is torn apart. Bu there are significant differences in her case. Has Laura's life been spared? Why?And for how long? FOr Leo, the clock is ticking ... He needs to do everything in his power to stop the killer before it's too late."
This book is part of my summer reading list.


The last book for this week is one for my J K Parker collection: The Company (pb 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-1841495101]
"Hoping for a better life, five war veterans colonize an abandoned island. They take with them everything they could possibly need - food, clothes, tools, weapons, even wives.
But an unanticipated discovery shatters their dream and replaces it with a very different one. The colonists feel sure that their friendship will keep them together. Only then do they begin to realize that they've brought with them rather more than they bargained for.
For one of them, it seems, has been hiding a terrible secret from the rest of the company. And when the truth begins to emerge, it soon becomes clear that the war is far from over."


Now I own eight K J Parker novels and so far I read one.Therefore I decided that K J Parker novels will be the focus of my summer reading.

This is the second time I write about Jonathan Green in this post. Beside his PAX BRITANNIA series he also write completely different books. Scottish Miscellany: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Scotland the Brave (October, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1616080631]
"Why is the tartan so important? What is worn under a kilt? How much of the story in Braveheart is real? How do you make haggis? With Scottish Miscellany, author Jonathan Green lets you revel in the fun and fascinating explanations behind Scottish traditions and folklore, giving you the answers to questions you’ve always had—or never knew you had—and more as he covers all aspects of Scotland. From Scottish culture to the ancient history of the country to modern pastimes, this book has all that and more. Learn why the thistle is the floral emblem of Scotland, how Scotch whisky is made, why the Scots celebrate Hogmanay, how to play the bagpipes, and much more. This delightful book is the perfect gift for anyone planning a visit to Scotland, with an interest in Scottish history, or a drop of Scottish blood. 50 color illustrations"
I must admit, for me it sounds very interesting..... Visit Scottish Miscellany for more information.

No more today, see you next week ......

Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

A lot of countries use CCTV and every time we read or talk about it, 1984 by George Orwell comes up in our mind. But that is not only a problem of western countries. How many cameras do you need for a town?
This is the answer of the Chinese government......

It seems there are companies who must convince their employees that the past has gone ..... Watch this!

Do want to work together with a bookseller? Or are you interested in to work together with a bookseller ?
Then I recommend to read When Booksellers and Bloggers Get in Bed... by Charlotte Abbott.

My collection of J K Parker books is growing. So far I bought copies of eight books. This week I found randomly a new story by J K Parker which you can read online for free. Just follow this link: Amor Vincit Omnia by K. J. Parker.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today I present you the trailer of the next animated Disney movie (US release date: November 24th, 2010).

The story of Tangled is loosely based on German fairy tale Rapunzel by the Brothers Grimm. have a look ...


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.
One of the books we received this week inspired me to search for quotes related to MAIL.
And that is what I found ...

"Men live in a fantasy world. I know this because I am one, and I actually receive my mail there.">”
Scott Adams, US cartoonist (1957 - )


"I get mail; therefore I am.
Scott Adams, US cartoonist (1957 - )


"Learning music by reading about it is like making love by mail.
Luciano Pavarotti,(Italian tenor, 1935 - 2007)


"Diamonds are forever. E-mail comes close.
June Kronholz


"The difference between e-mail and regular mail is that computers handle e-mail, and computers never decide to come to work one day and shoot all the other computers.
Jamais Cascio

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...